Archives for posts with tag: mechanical

As the deadline of the Illuminate event approached it was time to test and tweak the sculptures.

We added the drive bike to the bird using some ‘dropouts’ made from scrap steel plate and old angle iron shelving. Time to test the bird and it proved too big for the poly tunnel so we moved it outside to continue work– the weather was changeable so we worked under a slightly too small gazebo for some of the day.

 

The bird wings proved too heavy and kept throwing the chain from the gear as they ‘pushed’ the chain forward ahead of the pedal. This was remedied by the addition of a number of ‘muscles’ made from old inner tubes, strategically placed these ‘muscles’ countered the downwards force of the wings and allowed an even resistance to the pedals allowing control of the speed of the rotation and flapping more easily.

Everyone was thrilled that the bird worked. The flapping motion had a real bird like quality and everyone enjoyed pedaling and making amusing ‘caw-cow’ noises…


The Bird Moves a video by arbarus on Flickr.

Advertisements

We were please to have our young team return on the second day of their Easter holidays and continue work on the bird.

The tricky process of setting up and aligning the drive mechanism proved a challenge as four bike chains were needed to create the required length. These were salvaged from our junk box and Dan and Ste set to work making sure they were of the same pitch, cleaning and freeing any stuck links and joining them into one long, unwieldy and unusual looking chain.

Once this was connected correctly around the wing crank gear and the freewheel of the drive bike, Sam Ste and Dale mounted a tensioner and chain guide made from two old derailleur cogs onto the struts of the bird support frame.

Meanwhilst Andy and Dennis got the fish moving with the addition of a drive bike.

The fish frame had been lifted 5″ using bed frame ends to enable fixing of the drive mechanism. (The fish was now truly above the river bed!)

The perpendicular drive for the fish was connected using a cunning contrivance of parts from our toolkit: a 3/4 socket and universal joint adapter, Andy and Dennis made sure everything was aligned correctly to the fish drive crank and fixed it in place.